Saturday, November 4, 2017

Don't Want to be on the CCHS Board of Directors? Neither Did I!

 Not “no”, but “no way”—that was my answer when I was asked to be on the board of the Cowley County Humane Society. Sure, I always was a supporter of the shelter, but that was restricted to giving monetary donations and attending events. Because of my interest in the shelter, I was on the radar of the board and I guess I looked like a good candidate to them.
I had excellent reasons NOT to be on the board—no time, don’t want to see all those sad animal faces at the shelter, don’t know anyone I could hit up for fundraisers, and a million others. I finally agreed to meet with the board president to receive more information, but I stated right then and there that I couldn’t possibly be on the board. At the end of that meeting, I agreed to be on the board.


Turns out, I wouldn’t have to become a serial adopter, because I never even had to interact with any shelter animals if I didn’t want to. I also wasn’t expected to single-handedly save the world. I was told, however, that being a board member was a lot of work and took some dedication, because it is the board that plans and executes all fundraisers for CCHS. Many board members also take on additional tasks, like being foster parents, writing the newsletter, volunteering at the shelter, finding sponsors and members, etc. After asking myself if this was the cause I wanted to spend my time on and if I wanted to make a difference, the answer had to be “YES”.

During my numerous years of being involved with the CCHS Board, I not only gave a lot, but have also learned so much and have done things I never thought I would be capable of! Being on the board has brought out hidden talents and pushed me into realms I was formerly uncomfortable with. I never thought I could be a public speaker, now I give presentations. I never thought I could write, now I write articles for the newspaper and have published the shelter newsletter for several years. I never thought I could become computer-savvy, now I make flyers, am the Facebook administrator for the shelter’s Facebook page, make videos, PowerPoint presentations, manage Google Documents and much more. I never thought I could be a leader, and now have been board president 3 years.  I have met and become friends with people who would otherwise never have crossed my path, who have expanded my horizon and inspired me to become a better person.

We are in need of new board members who are willing to contribute their time and talents towards making a difference in thousands of animal and human lives each year. If you are that person, please contact us by messaging us on Facebook or emailing ccasdirector@skyerock.net and I will get in touch with you!

Alice Shaffer
CCHS Board President and PR & Media Chair

No comments:

Post a Comment